Cleopatra—a courageous, astute, and captivating girl who spoke many languages, entertained lavishly, hunted, went into conflict, eradicated siblings to consolidate her energy, and held off the specter of Imperial Rome to guard her nation so long as she could—continues to fascinate centuries after she governed Egypt. those wide-ranging essays discover such issues as Cleopatra's debatable journey to Rome, her suicide via snake chunk, and the afterlife of her love potions. They view Cleopatra from the Egyptian standpoint, and consider the reception in Rome of Egyptian tradition, specially of its faith and structure. They talk about movies approximately her, and view what encouraged Egyptomania in early sleek paintings. jointly, those essays light up Cleopatra's legacy and illustrate the way it has been used and reused in the course of the centuries.
Read or Download Cleopatra: A Sphinx Revisited PDF
Best biography books
From nationwide ebook Award winner Ron Chernow, a landmark biography of Alexander Hamilton, the Founding Father who galvanized, encouraged, scandalized, and formed the infant nation.
In the 1st full-length biography of Alexander Hamilton in many years, nationwide booklet Award winner Ron Chernow tells the riveting tale of a guy who overcame all odds to form, motivate, and scandalize the child the US. in accordance with historian Joseph Ellis, Alexander Hamilton is "a strong full-length portrait, in my opinion the easiest ever written, of the main magnificent, charismatic and hazardous founding father of all of them. "
Few figures in American heritage were extra hotly debated or extra grossly misunderstood than Alexander Hamilton. Chernow's biography supplies Hamilton his due and units the checklist directly, deftly illustrating that the political and monetary greatness of today's the US is the results of Hamilton's numerous sacrifices to champion rules that have been frequently wildly disputed in the course of his time. "To repudiate his legacy," Chernow writes, "is, in lots of methods, to repudiate the fashionable global. " Chernow right here recounts Hamilton's turbulent lifestyles: an illegitimate, principally self-taught orphan from the Caribbean, he got here out of nowhere to take the US by means of hurricane, emerging to turn into George Washington's aide-de-camp within the Continental military, coauthoring The Federalist Papers, founding the financial institution of latest York, best the Federalist celebration, and turning into the 1st Treasury Secretary of the United States.
Historians have lengthy advised the tale of America's beginning because the triumph of Jefferson's democratic beliefs over the aristocratic intentions of Hamilton. Chernow provides a completely assorted guy, whose mythical targets have been prompted now not simply by way of self-interest yet through passionate patriotism and a obdurate will to construct the rules of yank prosperity and gear. His is a Hamilton way more human than we've encountered before—from his disgrace approximately his start to his fiery aspirations, from his intimate relationships with formative years associates to his immense feuds with Jefferson, Madison, Adams, Monroe, and Burr, and from his hugely public affair with Maria Reynolds to his loving marriage to his dependable spouse Eliza. and not prior to has there been a extra shiny account of Hamilton's recognized and mysterious dying in a duel with Aaron Burr in July of 1804.
Chernow's biography is not only a portrait of Hamilton, however the tale of America's start noticeable via its so much crucial determine. At a severe time to appear again to our roots, Alexander Hamilton will remind readers of the aim of our associations and our background as american citizens.
Journalist and cultural critic James Sullivan tells the tale of different the US from the Nineteen Fifties to the current during this definitive biography of the Catholic boy for whom not anything was once sacred: George Carlin. Seven soiled phrases is a hilarious and insightful learn, documenting the existence and paintings of the mythical comedian, provocateur, and social critic who fearlessly puzzled the yankee lifestyle throughout the phrases we use.
Richard Müller, a number one determine of the German Revolution in 1918, is unknown this present day. because the operator and unionist who represented Berlin’s metalworkers, he used to be the most organiser of the ‘Revolutionary Stewards’, a clandestine community that organised a sequence of mass moves among 1916 and 1918.
John Ruskin (1819–1900) was once the main admired paintings and structure critic of his time. but his popularity has been overshadowed by way of his own existence, specially his failed marriage to Effie grey, which has solid him within the historical past books as little greater than a Victorian prude. during this ebook, Andrew Ballantyne rescues Ruskin from the dustbin of history’s trifles to bare a deeply attuned philosopher, one whose copious writings had great impact on all periods of society, from roadmenders to royalty.
- Northern Light: The Enduring Mystery of Tom Thomson and the Woman Who Loved Him
- Christian Bale: The Inside Story of the Darkest Batman
- Kate: The Future Queen
- Gunboat Command: The Biography of Lieutenant Commander Robert Hichens DSO* DSC** RNVR
- The Animated Man: A Life of Walt Disney (Simpson Book in the Humanities)
- Fidel & Gabo: A Portrait of the Legendary Friendship Between Fidel Castro and Gabriel García Márquez
Additional resources for Cleopatra: A Sphinx Revisited
21. Useful essays in G. W. , Rediscovering Hellenism: The Hellenic Inheritance and the English Imagination (1989); for new ideology in Greece, E. Bastéa, The Creation of Modern Athens, Planning the Myth (2000). 22. A recent study investigates these issues thoroughly: Donald Reid, Whose Pharaohs? Archaeology, Museums, and Egyptian National Identity from Napoleon to World War I (2002); for a more general discussion of cultural property and ethical issues, see Colin Renfrew, Loot, Legitimacy and Ownership: The Ethical Crisis in Archaeology (2000).
19. -M. , Egyptomania: Egypt in Western Art, 1730–1930 (1994), to be read with a review by Brian A. Curran, Art Bulletin 78 (1996): 739–44; and by J. S. Curl, Egyptomania: The Egyptian Revival: A Recurring Theme in the History of Taste (1994). 20. C. -M. Humbert et al. (1994): 227–35; also illustrated is a Sèvres tea service taken by Napoleon to Saint Helena (240–241). The large numbers of dinner services and dining paraphernalia from many countries, monarchs, and groups on exhibit in Apsley House in London shows that this was to be a typical offering to the Duke, but only the service from Louis XVIII features Egyptian themes.
25. L. Troy, Patterns of Queenship in Ancient Egyptian Myth and History (1986): 178–79; see also H. Gauthier, Le livre des rois d’Égypte (1916): 410–18. 36 Cleopatra, Queen of Egypt 26. P. Köln 81 lists all of Cleopatra III’s cult titles; see also G. Hölbl (2001): 285 for a list of eponymous Alexandrian priesthoods. 27. C. Traunecker, Coptos, Hommes et Dieux sur le Parvis de Geb (1992): 272–303 for a translation of the texts and discussion on the bark shrine. Traunecker suggests that the identity of the male ruler might be Ptolemy XIV.